The Espresso Machine Restoration site
A non-commercial site for those interested in espresso equipment repair and restoration.
|La Marzocco SMAL 2 Group
|Manufacturer: La Marzocco srl., Florence, Italy
Model: 2G EE SMAL
Approx Date of Manuf: No idea - I'm guessing late 70's early 80's
Date acquired: 1st August 2005
Working condition: Looks ok, but untested
Notes: Purchased from Italy
|What exactly are they?
The Smal series of machines are definite oddballs. The 2 boilers are stacked on top of each other meaning that it is
a very compact size and (I believe) designed to be placed against a wall so that the work side is facing the customer.
The machine may also be known as a "stack", but SMAL is stamped on the id plates.
Although I haven't measured things yet, the boilers look exactly the same size as a regular 1 group Marzocco. The
machines have 1 steam valve and 1 hot water valve.
|22nd August 2006 - Work begins at last
Having recently moved into my new office/workshop I had no choice but to get all the machines I had in storage
cleaned up and ready for my planned gallery. Motivated by the though of actually being able to put all my machines
on display and operational (if needed) I decided to do some work on the 2 group smal machine.
So last saturday when the phones were silent and the staff were off I found the time to get stuck in and I have to say
that this was such a simple strip down that has yet to reveal any nasty surprises requiring some serious work. Both
boilers seem in great shape.
The other major impetus to getting this machine done, was the arrival of some much needed parts - namely the
correct brew switches. The original brew switches for these machines and the GS2 solenoid machines disappeared
a long long time ago.
As much as I like things to be original, with this machine it is not an option. The biggest problem is that someone
has hacked into the bakelite group covers, meaning that even with the correct brew switches there will be a huge
hole. So my plan is to fabricate the new front fascia panel, move the pressure gauge and install reconditioned brew
switches. The machine will still be unique because it has the double tiered cup warmer.
So that is the layout of the machine. As I said above it all looks very good, no leaks from the boilers, no obvious
cracks or other serious damage. As with my other machines this has the small steam boiler which is identical to the
brew boiler. Remember these are from the days prior to 64oz lattes and made mostly espresso. The "problem" with
this machine is mostly cosmetic, it seems to have been used quite a lot and the steel panels and chrome are worn in
It took around 2 hours from the complete machine to having everything in pieces, all components dismantled and in
their respective parts bins. As much as possible I try and dismantle as I go, strip things down immediately as they
come off the machine. Next to the work table I have 2 wheelie bins at the ready for descaling - 1 for the boilers and
1 for pipes and other components.
The first thing to do was empty the boilers of the water - yes the machine came form Italy full of water.
As I said before I prefer to just pull it apart at the same time - the biggest reason I do this is because at this stage I
am covered in grease and coffee dirt and I don't want to get all dirty a second time! So as soon as the brew boiler
came out of the machine I removed the groups.
So the machine is now 100% dismantled. My plan over the next few days is:
Clean all parts then "descale"
Take chrome parts to be replated
Fabricate a new front fascia panel
Rewire the machine
|This website is created by Paul Pratt, Hong Kong 2004-5. If you would like to use any of the images or text I am sure
I will say yes, but please ask first!
Email me here.