The Espresso Machine Restoration site
A non-commercial site for those interested in espresso equipment repair and restoration.
|La Marzocco SMAL 1 Group
|Manufacturer: La Marzocco srl., Florence, Italy
Model: 1G EE SMAL
Approx Date of Manuf: No idea - I'm guessing late 70's early 80's
Date acquired: 1st August 2005
Working condition: Look ok, but untested
Notes: Purchased from Italy
|What exactly are they?
The Smal series of machines are definite oddballs. The 2 boilers are stacked on top of each other meaning that it is
a very compact size and (I believe) designed to be placed against a wall so that the work side is facing the customer.
The machine may also be known as a "stack", but SMAL is stamped on the id plates.
Although I haven't measured things yet, the boilers look exactly the same size as a regular 1 group Marzocco. The
machines have 1 steam valve and 1 hot water valve.
|It never rains, but it pours! I have so many machines to do at the moment it's not funny. But all good things come to
those who wait so these two will be given my full attention in a few months or so. I'm really keen to get stuck in
though - but rather than rush something and run the risk of losing parts I will put them out of view so I won't be
tempted to tear them down.
|13th August 1G SMAL
OK so I was far too tempted to do nothing - even with a herniated disc injury ( I won't bore you with the sob story).
Besides it was more a kind of forced strip down because as you can see the 1 Group has some parts missing and I
wasn't happy with the main body. I had to get some steel work done anyway so I decided to add the SMAL body to
the list of things for this metal company to do. The only way to get them to correctly get the size and proportion of
the new body right was to give them the machine to work on. So I decided to give them the shell and remove some
weight so that my poor old lumbar spine would not complain too much.
Let the stripdown begin!
|As you can see the machine is tiny - however this comes at a price. The pipes, valves and boilers are so jammed in
tightly I had to take written notes to remember where and how everything goes. There was one pipe for the hot
water tap that HAS to be in place before the brew boiler goes in. Notes and photos may seem like a long-winded
way to do things but that will save me hours if not days when it comes to re-assembly.
The wiring loom I have to say was dreadful. It was such a mess compared with the wiring system coming from the
factory today. As with all my other machines the wiring is the first thing that get's pulled out. Even though I want the
machines to be as original as possible you have to make exceptions for safety. So I will redo the wiring using today's
Lineas as my guideline and add safety features like safety thermostats on both boilers.
What you can't see just yet is the main frame. It's not a secret I just don't have it since I gave it to the metal
company to fit the new body. Before I gave it to them though the brown paint was removed which took almost 6
hours. The good news is the corrosion was not that bad at all.
To remove the brown paint I used a combination of some lethal paint stripper and then finished the frame with flap
wheels, wire bristle cups and green scotchbrite pads.
So now all pipes and boilers are "descaling" in a mild citric solution. All other parts I have now cleaned...
Now I just need to wait for the acid to work it's magic on the limescale and wait for the metal company to finish the
outside cover so I can then finish the main frame. There is some rust to grind away and then it's on with the
rust-proffing zinc plating and then the spraying in hammered black corrosion resistant paint.
|This website is created by Paul Pratt, Hong Kong 2004-5. If you would like to use any of the images or text I am sure
I will say yes, but please ask first!
Email me here.