The Espresso Machine Restoration site
A non-commercial site for those interested in espresso equipment repair and restoration.
|La Marzocco 4G EE "Linea" with brass body
|Manufacturer: La Marzocco srl., Florence, Italy
Model: Linea, 4 Group Semi-Automatic, 220V, Single Phase. 6800W (3 boilers)
Approx Date of Manuf: 1990-2 I think. Serial 14XXX
Date acquired: December 1999
Working condition: Yes but in need of an overhaul
Notes: A swap with a customer for a new 3G EE Linea.
Apparently one of 3 units made. Another is at the LM Factory in Florence and the other I
believe is at ESI. Each slightly different.
|The story so far
I can honestly say that I have no idea why this amazing machine ended up the other side of the world in a land
where they don't drink coffee! The previous Marzocco agent in HK used to operate retail stores and I believe he
may have asked for something a bit special. I don't know I am just speculating.
Anyway here it is, what I would consider to be the ultimate coffee machine. The body is one piece and made of
brass. The frame of the machine is different than a standard Linea so you can't swap it around.
I will put my hand up and say that I did try and restore this machine sometime around 2001. When I look back now
at the "job" I did it is laughable. Anyway we all have a learning curve so now that I can do things properly I will give
him the care and attention he deserves.
A huge beauty
It is a big machine. 130cm (W) x 50cm (D) x 48cm (H).
How is this different than a Linea or an FB70?
In terms of layout and function they are identical. However there are a few items that are slightly different. The first
must be the body which was hand made in the old traditional panel beating method.
|Starting work 9th December 2004
Like a true eccentric person I have become one of those people that starts things having left a few other projects
unfinished. Next to the brass Linea is my GS2 and I still haven't had time to complete the rewiring. The other
problem is that I have had at least one refurb every week and I am tired and was looking to stimulate my brain with
something new. So the brass machine was pulled out.
I think really the brass machine will not be that difficult to get back to factory condition and I will add a few modern
components. A few of the stainless steel panels have been scratched in the past few years by various removing
companies since the machine has been with me for a long time. The main problem that I have been wanting to look
at has been the one piece brass body. The other problem has been that for about 8 years this machine was
doing some serious hard graft. There are countless scratches, dent sand small dings in the body that make it look
When it was made, the brass body was then sprayed with a clear lacquer to prevent the brass from tarnishing as it
was exposed to oxygen. The clear lacquer works very well - until that is, the machine gets dented or damaged. This
then cracks the lacquer and then allows oxygen to get in and tarnish the brass. It then creates some dark spots
which you cannot remove without stripping everything down.
In fact it works so well that the machine at the LM factory in Florence only has one tiny little spot and that is because
(Roberto tells me) that they switched the machine off once a few years ago for some holiday and when they came
back they found the dark spot. Presumably the heating and cooling contraction cracked the lacquer.
Anyway so on the 9th December with the GS2 watching over ( and wondering why I haven't done his wiring) I set
about restoring the brass body. As luck would have it my first guess was correct. I decided to strip all the clear
lacquer with some very strong paint removing chemicals. So with eye goggles, protective gloves and apron I
brushed the chemical on. It worked! The lacquer blistered immediately and I scraped it away with ease.
Of course I tested the chemical in a small place before doing the entire body. On my test patch once the varnish
was removed it was just brass underneath and with a bit of metal polish it was gleaming like new. It took about 1
hour of playing with hazardous chemicals and all the lacquer was removed.
I then set about removing all the dents and scratches in the brass. To do this I have to use my polishing equipment.
I did however test out the final look with some Brasso metal cleaner. A sneak peak is here...
I shall try and do some more on this when I have some time.
|This website is created by Paul Pratt, Hong Kong 2004. If you would like to use any of the images or text I am sure I
will say yes, but please ask first!
Email me here.