www.espresso-restorations.com
The Espresso Machine Restoration site
A non-commercial site for those interested in espresso equipment repair and restoration.
La Marzocco 2 Group Linea AV overhaul
Manufacturer:                La Marzocco srl., Florence, Italy

Model:                            Linea, 2 Group Semi-Automatic, 220V, Single Phase.  3700W

Approx Date of Manuf:   End 1999 serial 189XX

Date acquired:               December 2004

Working condition:         Yes, taken as working condition, all handles, trim and pump in place.

Notes:                             Part of a maintenance agreement to overhaul the machine completely every 36 months.
Basic condition

Again the machine was running well but it has been in operation for 3 years and was due for an overhaul.  What
looks like a machine in working order needs some attention if it has been in operation and on for more than 2 years.

As with other machines my main concern was of course the dirt and limescale which was in evidence in the usual
places such as the sight glass, hot water spout and from the vacuum breaker.
Before and After shots

I will do something different with this rebuild.  I will just do some before and after comparisons.  Remember all parts
(with the exception of safety valves) are reused, refurbished and repolished.  I haven't cheated at all!
Before pictures
After pictures
Fairly standard condition for 3 years use. To be fair the owners of this machine have looked after it very
well. Apart from the numerous scratches it was clean, no
insects, no crusty milk deposits and no rancid smell.  

The top cover over the groups took me 2 hours to polish since
the scratches were very deep.  But it was worth it.
New inserts on the steam valves, everything else the same.
Dirty sight glass and scratched panel. The sight glass is as I always say a great indicator of what is
the true condition of the machine.  What I do is take it apart,
remove the scale from the unit, ultrasonic the glass and then
assemble using new gaskets.

Removing the bezel from the sight glass body is difficult since
they normally bond together.
Clean and polished.
Scratched and dirty side panels. The side panels and base unit were scratched as was the main
brushed body.  

It was not too much trouble to get them back to factory
condition though.
The finshed machine - top black trim missing though.
Dust and dirt inside the machine caused by the fan. The first thing you notice with an AV machine is the dust inside.  
This is caused by the PC cooling fan sucking in and blowing the
dirty polluted HK air.  

However the cooling of the fan and the dirt it caused is certainly
preferable to an overheated PC unit anyday.
All cleaned up.
A typical scene of a steam valve and a dirty frame. The good thing about having top-class material to work with as
used by Marzocco is that you can restore it with hardly an fuss
or effort.  Everything you see on this machine was just
refurbished and repolished.  

The steam valves are tricky to get back to as new condition but
it just takes patience to remove all the dirt.
Much better.  And that is an earth wire to the frame.
The drain box full of dort, crud and scale. Again a typical picture of a machine that has been in use for
some time.  The expansion valve (left) does not look too bad
but it did require a good descale and a new gasket.  

On the right is the 3-way valve from the groups drain.  That was
very tricky to clean as it was a combination of scale and dirt.  
The scale would suggest that the plunger seals on 3-way valve
was defective.
These are the same components.
Flowmeter and group - both dirty and in need of attention. This is the main reason for overhauling.  Over time that gasket
deteriorates - especially that silicone one.  The scale will break
it down and come through.  The flowmeter is just a bit dirty and
cleaned up well although the citric did remove some of the
nickel plating.
Cleaned, descaled and reassembled.
Steam valve with the black knob removed. Steam valves are easy components to diagnose and repair -
but they are damn hard to clean.  The trouble is that they
require a lot of lubrication which gets very dirty over time.

One of the main reason for my super-duper ultrasonic bath is to
clean the steam valves.  
One of the most difficult parts to clean.
Side panel removed.  The sirai p-stat is top left. One of the few parts that I replaced was the Sirai p-stat.  I have
been gradually phasing these out with my customers and
replacing them with the current CEME models.  

The contactor switch is securely mounted on a DIN rail.
New CEME p-stat and contactor.
A disgusting steam valve. Another picture of the dirt that builds up in steam valves.  
Believe me it is very difficult to strip these down.  Actually it is
easy to strip them down but getting rid of the grease and dirt
that accumulates is the difficult part.  

Once I have cleaned the steam valves in the ultrasonic bath I
then manually have try and unblock the shafts of the steam
wands since ultrasonic baths don't really work well on pipes.

Usually the steam wands are all scratched and dirty so I also
polish those on my polisihing motor.
Clean steam valve.
Steam valve with the wand still in place. Rebuilt steam valves.
Steam wands before. All clean.
Page 2
This website is created by Paul Pratt, Hong Kong 2004. If you would like to use any of the images or text I am sure I
will say yes, but please ask first!  

Email me here.